Although a flat is technically a small space, there are many creative ways to make it feel more like home. You can pack all the love that a home has to offer into a much smaller space.
Making a Small Space Kitchen Work
While there are many things you can do without in the kitchen when apartment living, some things are just a pure necessity. Utilising every inch of space in a kitchen takes some creativity.
Shelving above the sink and on every existing wall in the kitchen is a great way to store and even display useful kitchen tools and items.
Over the refrigerator
No space is sacred in any flat kitchen, most especially not the space on top of the fridge. This area is useful for storing your microwave and your toaster when not in use.
Turning the Smallness of the Bedroom into a Cozy Space
The bedroom is the most important room in your home. It is where you rest and rejuvenate from a hectic day. It is also where you spend time with your significant other.
* If you do not have the luxury of having a separate space for a living room and a bedroom, convert your bedroom into both. The use of a futon or day bed is a great way to have the best of both worlds. You can set up your futon as a couch by day and as a place to rest your head by night. Futons can have extra cushions added to them and really big fluffy pillows for extra comfort.
* Your television in your room can be perched atop a wardrobe, set inside an armoire, or even hung from the corner of the ceiling.
* A small closet can double as a computer storage space. Utilise under-the-bed storage systems and use the wardrobe as a workspace.
Bringing the Outdoors In
If you are fortunate enough to have a big bay window or a walk-out patio, you can turn that space into your own little private oasis.
* A bay window that has a window seat is a great cozy addition that can double as a reading room. Take comfy cushions, throw them on top of the sill, and add extra with a throw. Put up some shelves and you have a private reading room.
* If you have a small walk-out patio, add some hanging plants and a bistro set and voila – you have your own private villa. A great place to have a glass of wine and watch the sunset.
There are many ways to convert the small spaces in an apartment to feel like home.
Browse our shop to find furniture and accessories that can transform your home.